How many clients do you schedule each month?
- Ideally, no more than 4-5 due dates per month
Where do you live and how far will you travel?
- I live outside city limits in Livermore on a small farm.
- I am willing to travel but prefer to stay within a 2 hour radius. There’s a nominal $.50 mile fuel surcharge for anything over 120 miles round trip.
- 15-30 minutes to the following hospitals:
- Sutter/Kaiser, Antioch or Tracy
- Valley Care, Pleasanton
- 45- 60 minutes to the following hospitals:
- John Muir Medical Center, Walnut Creek
- Washington Hospital, Fremont
- Alta Bates, Berkeley
- Kaiser, Hayward, Modesto, Oakland, San Leandro or Walnut Creek
- 60-90 minutes to the following hospitals:
- Good Samaritan, San Jose
- Sutter Davis, Davis
- UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
Will you be out of town when you are on call?
- While I rarely leave town, I will only schedule time away when I do not have clients due.
Do you have a backup doula or photographer?
- Yes. It is important to find a doula or photographer that partners with similar professionals, should a backup be needed.
What if I go into labor early?
- From 38 weeks and on, I’m on call. If labor is earlier than 38 weeks, my backup or I will be there. Again, I’m usually in town, due to farm obligations.
What is I have a history of rapid labor or signs or rapid labor?
- If you have a history of rapid labor, be sure to tell me, so we can plan accordingly.
- If you have signs of rapid labor, call me ASAP. I’ll skip my shower or meal and head your way. Learn more about rapid labor here.
Do you provide medical care?
- I’m not licensed or qualified to provide medical care. Your doctors, nurses, midwife and/or OB/GYN will provide all of your medical care. My role is to provide non-medical care.
Do you take insurance?
- Birth doulas are covered by some insurance plans. Confirm with your insurance company in advance. Some clients use health savings accounts for birth doulas.
Can you attend a home birth or deliver my baby at home?
- I can attend a home birth and would be happy to meet your midwife in advance.
- I CANNOT deliver your baby. Learn more here. Doulas have been present for unplanned, home births due to rapid labor. If this happens, I will call 911.
Can you provide support if my pregnancy needs to be terminated?
- Yes. If you need to, have to, choose to terminate your pregnancy or are having a miscarriage, absolutely, support is available.
What is placenta encapsulation?
- Placenta encapsulation is a process of placing it into pills, so it can be conveniently taken, like a vitamin.
Will our names or photos be shared through social media?
- Only approved images, if any, will be shared, after permission is granted.
Can you blur private parts?
- Yes, if you would like this option. It’s very subtle and provides privacy to both you and your baby.
Who will have access to my photos and where will they be stored?
- Just you and me. I will keep photos stored on my computer until I have turned over a copy to you (either CD or USB flash drive). After that, I’ll store them for a period of time and then purge them. I encourage you to keep extra copies (digital or printed).